Saturday, September 19, 2015

Switchel

So I was looking through Facebook and came across a recipe for "Switchel" which is also known as Haymaker's Punch. It's a vinegar drink that was common back in colonial days. Supposedly, it's a great drink for those really hot summer days and is comparable to Gatorade. There are a bunch of recipes of varying ingredients and measurements. I used the one below.

1 gallon water
1 1/2 cups molasses
1/3 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger

Here are my ingredients

My finished product

Well, I made the drink. It made a lot!! The whole gallon of water wouldn't fit in the container. I took a sip...pretty gross. I let it sit in the refrigerator...sill pretty gross. Molasses is a strong taste and personally I love it, but it was WAY too much. The ginger gave it a nice kick. I thought the idea of vinegar in a drink was strange, but it wasn't too bad. Here is another recipe that I found that I may try. It's a smaller recipe and might do a little better.

Ginger Switchel
Makes 1-2 drinks
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons sweetener (molasses, maple syrup, honey, sugar)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 cup water
Combine all ingredients in a jar or glass. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to a day.
Shake or stir before serving. Taste and adjust sweetener, if desired. If using fresh ginger, strain through a fine sieve or cheesecloth.
Pour over ice or mix with soda water, if desired.

Give it a try yourself and let me know how it works out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment