Sunday, March 14, 2021

Cast Iron...I'm Ready

 


I got a set of 3 cast iron pans about 8 years ago and have never used them. Yes, I know...I'm sorry. Cast iron is intimidating! I'm not sure what to do with it.

Most cast iron skillets these days come preseasoned, but I'm told you have to season it again. I Googled and kind of put multiple posts together into one thought process to get the job done. I set my oven to 450 degrees and set the skillet in there for about 30 minutes. Then I took it out and rubbed vegetable oil all over the inside and up around the sides and put it back into the oven for another 30 minutes and did it one last time before I turned off the oven and let it sit in there until it cool down. It looked awesome!

Cooking that night...well...I think I have to work with it some. I cooked some nice steaks I found at the store that night. My daughter likes her steaks cooked well done and I thought that maybe the cast iron would cook it a little better so that it didn't wind up looking like a hockey puck. I cooked it for a long time. The house got smokey. The smoke detector went off (which is good because I wasn't sure it was working). I finally, in good conscience, could not cook it anymore. It got to the point where I was feeling bad for the steak. This was NOT how it was supposed to end! The juice was STILL red when she cut into it!

So what happened? What did I do wrong? Give me some tips on cooking steak WELL done! I just can't do it! Give me some tips on cooking with cast iron!

No comments:

Post a Comment